Day 1 - Christmas Advent Calendar (part 2)
Well, I lied....sort of
I did not anticipate all the cutting and sewing involved in the next few steps of the quilt. So, heads up, there is to be a part 3! lol
On with it...
3. Place the pocket pieces (front and back) right sides together and sew with a 1/2 inch seam allowance the top side.
Open it u and press the seam open. Then fold over with right sides facing outward and press once more on the seam.
4. Place the previously sewn pocket front and back on to the remaining 3rd square for that pocket with the access fabric at the top. Baste stitch both sides and the bottom.
Do this for all the pockets....
Now to add the sashing. I think the most intimidating part to this tutorial was the word "quilt". I have yet to successfully complete a quilt. They are intimidating to me because...well, what if I don't get it all squared? will I have a lopsided piece of abstract art?
5. Cut your 892768294376298676 pieces of sashing.
LOL, just kidding. But seriously, you need like 100 pieces....
For my 2.5" squares, here's what I had:
A total of 11 strips 2" by the width of the fabric.
Then I cut 3 of those strips down to 2.5" pieces (total of 50)
And 8 of those strips down to 5.5" pieces for a total of 50.
5. Just like in the original tutorial, you will sew these sashing pieces to your pockets alternating the 2.5" and 5.5" from top to bottom.
6. Trim according to the chart in the original tutorial HERE
I made my squares 6" but in my opinion they could be smaller to be more proportional to my smaller pockets (I may account for that with a bigger seam allowance when piecing them together)
Whew! That was plenty for one day!!
Part 3 to follow ;)